- Hide the cards around and have students match and sort the non-identical cards.
- Have students draw a random card and describe the features or function of the item to see if the rest of the students can guess what the picture is.
- Have a student state the class or function of the picture and the rest of the students have to ask yes/no questions about it.
- Students have to find a picture when given a descriptive clue. For example during the school unit I might say, “Can you find something that I can store my book in and has 4 legs?” The student would then find the picture of the desk.
- Play memory with the cards.
- Helping students improve at generating sentences. The student has to recall what we have learned about the vocabulary word and use that knowledge to come up with a sentence.
- Improving attention to peers to know what sentence the group will be writing.
- Work as a team to recall and write the sentence. This includes spelling and generalizing sentence & writing concepts.
It isn’t necessary for students to all be at the same level for this activity. Check out the blog post link below for running a mixed level grouping: